Change is omnipresent in any organisation at any size. We know that it’s fundamental for organisations to recognize and embed change in their DNA. We also know that managing the people’s side of change is often the most challenging and critical component of an organisational transformation. Getting people on board and participating in the change can make the difference between success and failure.
Dealing with Change
Dealing with change and, more significantly, the impact of change, is a high priority for organisations. This is where change management comes in. Change Management is the approach to dealing with change. It comprises the processes, tools and techniques used to manage the people’s side of change and achieve desired business outcomes. Moreover, change management focuses on how to help employees embrace, adopt and use a change in their daily work. Change management is a process but also a competency.
What is the objective of Change Management?
There are different Change Management process models, developed by different international accreditation groups. While each group has its own approaches and frameworks, the objective remains the same: to address the human side of change in organisational contexts. Change management helps organisations optimize the resources, processes and technology needed to deliver business results.
What are the benefits of Change Management?
A Change Management framework and certification:
- Gives professionals the opportunity to develop their capabilities to deal with change
- Helps implementing change smoothly and effectively
- Provides effective support and motivation to individuals and teams to embrace change
- Helps those responsible for change initiatives to unlock resistance to change
- Gives a guidance on how to manage and inform key stakeholders throughout the change process
- Speeds up the implementation of change initiatives
- Helps organisations cut costs: poorly managing change is costly!
Finally, effective change management in your organisation increases the likelihood of business success.
Different Change Management Frameworks & Certifications
Effective change management follows a structured process and employs a holistic set of tools to drive successful individual and organizational change. As mentioned before, there are different certifications that can improve the ability to manage projects, manage people and guide an organisation through changes. The most popular certifications for change management are issued by:
A Change Management framework can prepare, equip and support individuals to successfully adopt change, which in turn drives organizational success, deliverables and outcomes.
The Change Management Institute (CMI)
The Change Management Institute is a global, independent, non-profit association of change professionals. It was created and is operated by members for members, constantly striving to push the boundaries of the change management profession. The Change Management certification developed by APMG International in collaboration with the Change Management Institute is comprised of:
- A certification scheme with different levels
- The Change Management manual – ‘Effective Change Manager’s Handbook’
The certification is designed to help organisations and their people manage the impact of change. Change Management courses equip individuals with the knowledge, theories and techniques to effectively plan and implement successful change initiatives.
Different Change Management Certification Scheme levels
The Change Management certification scheme has two main levels:
- Foundation: this level introduces the Change Management approach. The Change Management Foundation exam aims to confirm that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of Change Management to work as an informed member of a team working on an organizational change initiative.
- Practitioner: the purpose of the Change Management Practitioner exam is to confirm whether you achieved sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor Change Management guidance in a given organizational change situation.
How to become Change Management certified?
In order to obtain your Change Management Certification, you need to follow a training with an APMG Accredited Training Organizations (ATOs). QRP International is an official ATO for Change Management, accredited by APMG. We’re authorised to deliver Change Management Foundation and Change Management Practitioner courses.
Would you like support in order to find the best solution for you and your team? We would be happy to be in touch – write to us!
What is Change Management, Change Management Institute
What is Change Management and How Does it Work?, PROSCI